Courtesy of Peg Perl
Because Denver is a home rule city, they have their own municipal code and disclosure system for the raising and spending of money in city elections. Any information you want to find will be on the Denver Elections website, not the Secretary of State TRACER system (where legislative and statewide candidate information is found).
Denver is currently working with an older system for filing and viewing this information, but has stated that it expects to transition to a more modern user-friendly system sometime this year. In the meantime, here are the steps for how to find information about Denver municipal candidates and committees.
HOW TO FIND DENVER CAMPAIGN FINANCE DISCLOSURE FILINGS IN GENERAL:
Go to Denver Elections Division website:
- Scroll down past the icons to the box titled “Candidates & Campaigns”
- Select “Campaign Finance System”
- Scroll down to the 3rd Bold Header “Campaign Finance Information & Archives.” Here you have two choices depending on what information you are looking for:
- Click button for “Searchable Campaign Finance Reports” to download a single bulk spreadsheet of all contributions (or expenditures) by all City candidates and committee since 2012
- Click button for “Campaign Finance Reports” to search for individual PDF reports of candidates or committees filed at certain times
HOW TO ACCESS THE LATEST INDIVIDUAL DENVER CANDIDATE REPORTS ONLINE:
- Click button for “Campaign Finance Reports (PDF)” (after steps above completed)
- Search “2018” to pull up a list of all committees & candidates that have filed so far in 2018
- Click the name of committee/candidate
- Select which filing you want to view (it will open in a new tab)
- Switch back to other tab with the list if you want to see another report from the same committee/candidate and repeat.
- If you want to go back to the list of all 2018 committees & candidates, click the blue highlighted “2018” above your shorter list to re-run that search
- Search by Last Name to see reports in multiple years by same candidate
- Click the year of reports that you want to view then repeat steps within #2 above
- If you want to go back to the list of all years for your candidate, search for last name again in the search box at the top of the shorter list to re-run the search